If we all work together, we can make sure that only quality establishments take care of our pets and their supply needs. Here’s how you can find a quality pet shop in your neighborhood:
1. Ask other pet owners in your area for their recommendations. This is usually the best way. Who have they used and why? Do they know the management? Did they experience extra friendly staff during their last visit? Have they personally purchased a pet at this pet store?
2. Talk to the staff at the store. Are they knowledgeable? If they didn’t know the answer, did they find another employee that did? Did they take the time to fully answer all of your questions?
Some of the questions to ask: A. Can I get a copy of the eye and hip certifications? B. What health issues are common to this breed? C. What type of temperament does this breed have? D. Does the breed have a tendency to bark a lot? E. How much socialization do they need? F. How much exercise does this breed need? G. How much grooming is needed? H. How much do they shed? I. How easy is this breed to train?
3. What is the health of the pets at the store? Are the coats shiny? Are the eyes vibrant? Are the animals alert? Are the cages clean? Are the food and water dishes clean? Do the pets have runny eyes or runny noses?
4. Do you see any signs of overcrowding of the pets?
5. What do you smell? If it is urine or feces, that’s not a good sign.
6. What do your instincts tell you about this store? Usually this is one of the best indicators.
These questions will give you a good idea of the quality of this pet store. Don’t be afraid to ask questions if you have any concerns. Finding a quality pet shop in your area will save your time and aggravation, not to mention it will keep your pets happy and healthy! For quality pets, visit: