I’ve been compiling a list of famous cats for my website PetNum.com for some time now. I know which my favorites are, but I wondered which are the most famous overall. There are so many great famous cats that I’m doing this in four groups, and then I’ll do a final round with the top cats from those groups.
The most famous cats (based on online chatter) with names starting with the letter N to Sc are:
10. Polar Bear, who was the cat in Cleveland Amory’s book “The Cat Who Came for Christmas”
9. Paulie, from the Non Sequitur comic strip
8. Patsy, who was Charles Lindbergh’s cat
7. Orlando the Marmalade Cat, from the series of books by Kathleen Hale
6. Periwinkle, from the TV series Blue’s Clues
5. Oscar, the Hospice cat from Rhode Island who can seemingly predict death
4. Samurai Cat, from the illustrated books by Mark Rogers
3. Salem from the Sabrina the Teenage Witch TV Series and comic books
2. Sabbath, from Emily the Strange
…and the most famous cat on this list is…
1. Scratchy, from “Itchy and Scratchy” a cartoon within the animated series the Simpsons
Cats not ranking in the top 10 were Nee chee from Emily the Strange, Nala from the House of Night book series, Napster who was Shown Fanning’s cat, Robert Johnson from Rick Riordan’s Tres Navarre series, Pyewacket from the 1958 movie Bell Book and Candle, Pulcinella who was composer Domenico Scarlatti’s cat, Piccolo who was Albert Schweitzer’s cat, and Peta who was the British Chief Mouser in the 1970s.
So a nice mix of cats from television (Scratchy, Salem, Periwinkle) and books (Sabbath, Samurai Cat, Polar Bear, Orlando).
I compiled this list by searching for the names listed on a number of search engines and ranking them by the number of web pages, discussion forums, photos, videos, etc that are available online.
Check out my complete list of at www.PetNum.com.